Women with new baby snuggling together.

What Is A Homeowners Insurance Binder And When Do You Need One?

Hanna Kielar5-minute read

March 14, 2023


An important part of buying a home is figuring out the different types of insurance you may need.

However, determining whether you need a homeowners insurance binder to close on your home isn’t that complicated.

The article below will discuss what’s included in a homeowners insurance binder, what it can be used for and how to get one from your insurance company.

What Is An Insurance Binder?

An insurance binder is a temporary contract between you and your insurer that proves you’ve purchased insurance coverage. It can provide you with full coverage while you await a more formal issuance.

Your homeowners insurance binder will contain all of the policy details of your homeowners insurance, and act as your proof of insurance for a potential lender.

An insurance binder is different from an insurance declaration page, which summarizes the coverage provided by your insurance company. When your declaration page becomes available, that’s usually when your binder expires, because you no longer need “temporary” proof of insurance coverage.

See What You Qualify For


Type of Loan

Home Description

Property Use

Your Credit Profile

When do you plan to purchase your home?

Do you have a second mortgage?

Are you a first time homebuyer?

Your email address () will be your Username.
Contains 1 Uppercase Letter
Contains 1 Lowercase Letter
Contains 1 Number
At Least 8 Characters Long
Go Back


By submitting your contact information you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy, which includes using arbitration to resolve claims related to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.!

NMLS #3030
Rocket Mortgage Logo

Congratulations! Based on the information you have provided, you are eligible to continue your home loan process online with Rocket Mortgage.

If a sign-in page does not automatically pop up in a new tab, click here

Rocket Mortgage Logo

When Do You Need A Homeowners Insurance Binder?

Home insurance binders are used to show proof of insurance coverage on a property. Binders are typically used to show evidence of things like property liability coverage to a lender, or when buying a new property.

Your home insurance binder will be required for the underwriting process and before you close on a mortgage. Binders often include information about your coverage, like policy limits.

What’s Included In A Home Insurance Binder?

Your homeowners insurance binder will include a description of your home, the address of the property you have insured, the type of property you have insured, the name of your insurance company and the coverages attached to your policy.

The Named Insured And Loss Payee

The “named insured” is going to be whomever owns the policy – this could be an individual or a couple. Your binder must show exactly who owns the insurance policy, so this section is critical.

A “loss payee” can be an individual or business that gets listed on your insurance policy as having the first right to any claims you might have filed so that they can protect their financial interest.

Your lender would be an example of a loss payee. They would want to make sure that if the home was lost due to a covered loss, they would still get paid out on any remaining mortgage costs.

Details On The Insurance Company

Typically, a home insurance binder will include the name of the insurance agency or agent and the name of the insurance company you purchased coverage through.

You will also find the mailing address and contact information for both the insurance company and your agent (if you used one).

Details On The Type Of Insurance Policy

The insurance binder will also show the type of insurance coverage you have on your home. This could include personal property insurance, general liability coverage, loss of use, medical liability and other structures coverage.

  • Dwelling coverage: This will be used to repair or rebuild your physical home if it’s damaged or destroyed by a covered loss.
  • Personal property coverage: This is used to cover things like your laptop, clothing or any of your personal items if they are stolen, lost or destroyed due to a covered loss.
  • Other structures coverage: If you have a detached garage, a pet house or even a shed, your other structures coverage will take care of this.
  • Medical liability coverage: Also called medical payments coverage, it usually kicks in to cover medical expenses if someone is hurt while visiting your home.

Your mortgage lender might not care if you have enough medical coverage, but it’s essential that you understand how much coverage you have and that you have it in writing.

Perils Your Policy Insures Against

The most common type of homeowners insurance is an HO-3 policy. Also known as a Special Form policy, it will cover both open perils and named perils.

Essentially, you want your binder to have as much information as possible about the perils your policy covers.

This information should be on your binder because it will make your closing process much easier and allow you to review your coverage quickly.

Coverage Limits Of Your Policy

Some of the most important information shown on a binder will be the coverage limits of your policy.

To close on a mortgage, your binder will need to show the specific limits on your policy to make sure there is enough coverage for your home.

Your binder should also include information such as the deductible amount and any special coverages or limits.

  • Deductibles: The amount of money you will pay out of pocket before the insurance company starts to assist with coverage.
  • Policy limits: Each part of your policy will have a different policy limit; your personal property limit will be different from your personal liability limits.
  • Special coverages: This is where the insurance company can notate any special coverages such as items added to the policy.

How To Get A Homeowners Insurance Binder

Once you pay your first month’s premium, your insurance company will issue you a homeowners insurance binder as temporary proof of coverage during the underwriting process to finalize your policy specifics.

However, suppose you know how much homeowners insurance you need and buy your policy as soon as you can. In that case, it’s possible to have an approved policy before going to the closing table, which won’t require you to have a binder.

You can contact your insurance company directly if you need a copy of your insurance binder or a copy of your in-force policy.

Insurance Binder FAQs

Do home insurance binders expire?

Yes, home insurance binders usually expire within 30 – 90 days and will not continue to cover your property once they end.

You should make sure you have either a copy of your homeowners policy or an insurance declaration page before your binder expires.

What’s the difference between an insurance binder and a declarations page?

An insurance binder is temporary proof of coverage and evidence of the insurance policy. The provider can issue a binder when proof of insurance is needed.

A declarations page or certificate of insurance is a summary of your homeowners insurance policy details and proof of insurance. The policy is generally officially issued after the underwriting process is complete, replacing the binder.

Do all companies give insurance binders?

Most insurers are now able to issue policies quickly enough, making a temporary binder unnecessary during the process.

Some may even skip the binder by writing a future effective date of coverage, which can still be accepted by mortgage lenders as proof.

Can my insurer cancel an insurance binder?

An insurer may decide to cancel your binder if they determine you do not meet underwriting standards.

However, because binders still provide coverage, the insurance company is required to send you a notification of cancellation in advance. It’s a good idea to check with your local agent as this can vary by state.

The Bottom Line: Why A Homeowners Insurance Binder Is Important

While it’s super easy to put something like a home insurance binder at the end of the list when you’re purchasing a new home, you shouldn’t. It’s essential to have your binder in order or to already have an active policy when you’re trying to close on your home to protect yourself.

Feeling more prepared for the home buying process? Get started today with an approval from Rocket Mortgage®.

Get approved to refinance.

See expert-recommended refinance options and customize them to fit your budget.

Hanna Kielar Headshot

Hanna Kielar

Hanna Kielar is a Section Editor for Rocket Auto, RocketHQ, and Rocket Loans® with a focus on personal finance, automotive, and personal loans. She has a B.A. in Professional Writing from Michigan State University.